At the end of the lesson, students should have a basic understanding of the following concepts:
1. Human activity can produce changes in the environment.
2. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas, meaning it traps heat in our atmosphere.
3. The burning of fossil fuels for energy causes additional carbon dioxide to be released into the atmosphere.
4. Excess carbon dioxide in our environment is causing global climate change—a trend in which the overall temperature of the Earth is increasing, sea levels are rising and weather patterns are changing.
5. People can take steps to reduce their impact on the environment.